- Size 7, 40 inch circular knitting needles
- Stitch markers
- 15 skeins Hikoo Kenzie (160 yards, 50 grams per skein) or 2400 yards of a worsted weight yarn. The colors I used in my blanket are in order:
1000 - Pavlova
1017 - Kiwano
1007 - Kiwi Fruit
1006 - Kumara
1005 - Bayberry
1011 - Tamarillo
1015 - Boysenberry
1014 - Malbec
1027 - Takahe
1013 - Tekapo
1008 - Kale
1025 - Elegan
1002 - Grey Salt
1018 - Seal
1010 - Glacier
- k - knit
- p - purl
- pm - place marker
- sm - slip marker
- k2tog - knit two together
- m1R - make one right leaning increase
- m1L - make one left leaning increase
- md - mitered decrease - slip 2 stitches together as if to k2tog, k1, pass the 2 slipped stitches over
- ssk - slip, slip, knit
Using the first color in your chosen gradient, cast on 237 stitches.
To adjust the size of the blanket use a multiple of 24 + 1 + twice the # of border stitches on each side.
Example: 237 = (24x9) + 1 + (2x10)
Garter stitch border:
Knit 8 rows.
Chevron Pattern Setup Row:
Row 1 (RS): k10, pm, k1, ssk, k9, m1R, [k1, m1L, k10, md, k10, m1R] repeat between brackets until 23 sts remain, k1, m1L, k9, k2tog, k1, pm, k10
Row 2 (WS): k10, sm, purl to second marker, sm, k10
Row 3 (RS): k10, sm, k1, ssk, k9, m1R, [k1, m1L, k10, md, k10, m1R] repeat brackets until 23 sts remain, k1, m1L, k9, k2tog, k1, sm, k10
Row 4 (WS): k10, sm, purl to second marker, sm, k10
Repeat rows 3 and 4 throughout body of blanket changing color as you wish. If using Kenzie, work each color until you nearly run out of yarn always ending after a WS row. My sample has 24 rows of each color. That is, for each color, I worked rows 3 and 4 twelve times each to create twelve garter ridges in each color along the horizontal border of the blanket.
On your final color, work rows 3 and 4 eight times each. Repeat Row 3 once more.
Knit 7 rows ending after a WS row.
Bind off loosely and weave in ends.
Wet block blanket to desired measurements.